Things My Mother Taught Me
by Jarrah Hodge
- How to do stage makeup
- How to pick stinging nettles
- That it’s important to take care of yourself
- How to make Ukrainian Easter Eggs
- That we are all inextricably connected to the Earth and it is important to protect her
- The difference between banana slugs and garden slugs
- That embarrassing childhood pictures are fair-game for showing to your adult friends
- That religion doesn’t have to be oppressive
- To have the patience it takes to find great things in a thrift store
- That having someone who is always there to listen when you’re having a bad day or a bad week or a bad month is priceless.
Happy Mother’s Day to my mom, Eve, and everyone else engaged in mothering.