I’ve been a bit under the weather and unable to do a lot of writing but on the plus side here are a bunch of cool feminist links I’ve come across during the last few days while I’ve been bed-ridden:
- Right Stuff, Wrong Sex: NASA’s Lost Female Astronauts from Wired Science talks about the history of NASA’s Women in Space Program in the 1950s and 1960s.
- US Census Bureau report shows the more choice mothers have the more likely they are to work. Judith Warner has a cool analysis in her NY Times blog Domestic Disturbances here
- Jezebel reports on Pepsi’s new IPhone app insults female customers with game encouraging male customers to AMP Up Before you Score. The game breaks women down into 24 convenient types like “Aspiring Actress”, “Foreign Exchange Student” and “Twins” and suggests lines you can use to bag your type. Then encourages users to brag about their scores on Twitter. Classy.
- Pro-Life Cupcake Day (seriously) targets children with icing messages like “Life is Precious.” Really awesome article at Bitch Blogs.
- American Girl releases “Homeless” doll Gwen. Huffpo analysis here about how ironic charging $95 for a homeless doll is. And Jezebel takes a balanced approach but ultimately agrees here.
- And introducing a great new blog – FWD/Forward: Feminists with Disabilities for a way forward. FWD’s awesome writers look at the ways that feminism and disability activism work together and explores a range of disability issues. Definitely check it out.
That’s it for me for today. Hope you all had a lovely weekend and Happy Thanksgiving all!