About Gender Focus
Founded in 2009 by Vancouverite Jarrah Hodge and featuring posts by feminist bloggers from across Canada, Gender Focus looks at politics, pop culture, and current events from an anti-racist feminist perspective. GF aims to showcase news and opinion relating to issues of social inequality, stereotyping and representations of marginalized groups in society, and the intersections between gender and public policy. In 2011 and 2012 Gender Focus placed first in the juried Canadian Weblog Awards “Best Feminist Blog” category. For more about Gender Focus’ policies and contributors, visit the About page.
About the Editor
Jarrah Hodge, 28, blogs from Vancouver, BC. Jarrah graduated from the University of British Columbia with a B.A. in Women’s Studies and Sociology. In addition to running Gender Focus, Jarrah is a regular commenter on the Shaw public affairs program Voice of BC. She blogs for the Huffington Post and has a YouTube series called Feminism F.A.Q.s. Jarrah’s past blogging experience includes writing on gender issues for the Huffington Post and the Vancouver Observer, and a series of posts on feminism and nerd culture for Bitch Magazine Blogs. She’s a fan of politics, crafts, Star Trek, musical theatre, and brunch.
- News Talk 770 (Calgary) on former Parks Board candidate Trish Kelly and issues facing women in politics, July 24, 2014.
- New Internationalist “Is There a Feminist Spring?”, July 2014.
- CBC Radio On the Coast on the #YesAllWomen hashtag, May 30, 2014.
- All Things Trek podcast episodes on children in Star Trek and pregnancy and motherhood in Star Trek, April 2014.
- CiTR Radio International Women’s Day panel on media representations of women, March 8, 2014.
- Trekabout podcast interview about feminism and Star Trek, February 2014.
- All Things Trek podcast, analysis of Star Trek: First Contact, December 2013
- All Things Trek podcast interview on feminism and Star Trek, September 18, 2013.
- CTV News Channel on the SMU rape chant controversy – September 7, 2013.
- CiTR Radio’s Sexy in Vancity on restrictions on abortion rights in the U.S., sex education in Canada and dating while feminist – July 17, 2013.
- The Daily Dot on feminist analysis of Star Trek – June 2013.
- Global BC1 with Jill Krop on living with trichotillomania – May 2013.
- CKNW Bill Good Show on school bans on girls wearing leggings to class – Jan. 30, 2013.
- CTV News Channel on the Steubenville, Ohio gang rape – Jan. 2013
- CTV News Channel on media portrayal of the women involved in the David Petraeus scandal – Nov. 2012.
- CKNW Bill Good Show on Lindsey Vonn’s pitch to participate in men’s skiing – Nov. 2012
- CBC News Community Live Web Chat on Sexism and Amanda Todd – Oct. 2012
- CBC Radio 1 All Points West on Bullying and Amanda Todd – Oct. 2012
- CBC Radio 1 On the Coast on Helen Gurley Brown – Aug. 2012
- Herizons Magazine on feminism and social media - Fall 2012 issue
- CBC Online – “Racist Halloween Costumes Stir Debate” – Oct. 2011
- Rue 89 – “Le Feminisme, Est-Il Soluble Dans La Blogosphere?” – Feb. 2011 (original interview in English)
- Royal City Record – “Blogger Earns National Honour” – Feb. 2012
- Comox Valley Record – “Vanier Graduate Voted Best Feminist Blogger” – Feb. 2012
- New Westminster News Leader – “New West-Based Blogger Wins Award” – Feb. 2012
- Burnaby Now – “Local Blogger Earns Honours” – Jan. 2011
- Canadian Weblog Awards Blog – Jan. 2011
Presentation and Interview Topics
- Feminism and social media
- Representation of women in pop culture, including issues around sexuality, body image, and stereotyping
- Representation of women in politics
- Women’s rights in Canada
- The feminist movement in Canada
- Women in the labour movement
- Women in Star Trek and geek culture in general, including the “fake geek girl” debate
High-resolution headshots and Gender Focus logos are available for download on my Flickr page.