About Gender Focus:
Founded in 2009 by Vancouverite Jarrah Hodge and featuring posts by feminist bloggers from across Canada, Gender Focus looks at politics, pop culture, and current events from an anti-racist feminist perspective. GF aims to showcase news and opinion relating to issues of social inequality, stereotyping and representations of marginalized groups in society, and the intersections between gender and public policy. In 2011 Gender Focus placed first in the juried Canadian Weblog Awards “Best Feminist Blog” category. For more about Gender Focus’ policies and contributors, visit the About page.
About the Editor:
Jarrah Hodge, 27, blogs from Vancouver, BC. Jarrah graduated from the University of British Columbia with a B.A. in Women’s Studies and Sociology. In addition to running Gender Focus, Jarrah blogs for the Huffington Post and vlogs for her YouTube series Feminism F.A.Q.s. Jarrah’s past blogging experience includes a series of posts on feminism and nerd culture for Bitch Magazine Blogs and columns on gender issues for the Vancouver Observer and About-Face. She’s a fan of politics, crafts, boardgames, musical theatre, and brunch.
- CKNW Bill Good Show on school bans on girls wearing leggings to class – Jan. 30, 2013.
- CTV News Channel on the Steubenville, Ohio gang rape – Jan. 2013
- CTV News Channel on media portrayal of the women involved in the David Petraeus scandal – Nov. 2012.
- CKNW Bill Good Show on Lindsey Vonn’s pitch to participate in men’s skiing – Nov. 2012
- CBC News Community Live Web Chat on Sexism and Amanda Todd – Oct. 2012
- CBC Radio 1 All Points West on Bullying and Amanda Todd – Oct. 2012
- CBC Radio 1 On the Coast on Helen Gurley Brown – Aug. 2012
- Herizons Magazine on feminism and social media - Fall 2012 issue
- CBC Online – “Racist Halloween Costumes Stir Debate” – Oct. 2011
- Rue 89 – “Le Feminisme, Est-Il Soluble Dans La Blogosphere?” – Feb. 2011 (original interview in English)
- Royal City Record – “Blogger Earns National Honour” – Feb. 2012
- Comox Valley Record – “Vanier Graduate Voted Best Feminist Blogger” – Feb. 2012
- New Westminster News Leader – “New West-Based Blogger Wins Award” – Feb. 2012
- Burnaby Now – “Local Blogger Earns Honours” – Jan. 2011
- Canadian Weblog Awards Blog – Jan. 2011
Presentation and Interview Topics:
- Feminism and social media.
- Representation of women in pop culture, including issues around sexuality, body image, and stereotyping.
- Representation of women in politics.
- Women’s rights in Canada.
- The feminist movement in Canada.
- Women in the labour movement.
High-resolution headshots and Gender Focus logos are available for download on my Flickr page.