Celebrating Five Years of Gender Focus
Today Gender Focus turns five years old and I’m very excited to be celebrating not only that milestone but also our new site design. We now have a cleaner, more visually-engaging design, and it’s finally mobile-optimized, so you can read our latest articles on the go. Thanks to the work of Kasia at CodeWord Media Design and Ashley at Creative Ten, who did the new logo. I hope you like the new look and overall feel as much as I do.
I also have to give huge thanks to the volunteer contributors who found time in their incredibly busy lives to write amazing articles for another year. Please show your appreciation for their work by commenting on their posts – constructive feedback is always appreciated.
Here’s some numbers that show how far we’ve come over the past five years:
And here are some highlights since our last blogiversary:
- Emily Yakashiro started a fabulous series on books by Asian women writers, starting with Hiromi Goto’s Chorus of Mushrooms.
- Jarrah Hodge did media interviews on a variety of feminism-related topics, including appearances on CBC Radio and CTV News Channel, and spoke on the news media’s troubled relationship with Canadian women at Niki Ashton’s 2013 Women’s Forum in Ottawa.
- Jarrah also appeared before a House of Commons panel studying the relationship between gender and eating disorders.
- Arwen McKechnie joined us as a regular volunteer contributor. Her first article was on Quebec’s “Charter of Values”, Islamophobia and feminism.
- As well as writing her usual fabulous posts, Jessica Critcher eschewed shaving to raise awareness of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome.
- In the “My Reality” series, contributors shared personal stories about experiences with sexual assault and intimate partner violence, abortion, dating, self-esteem, and menstrual cups.
- Canadian women filmmakers shared stories about their projects and the feminist dilemmas that occur in their work.
- For the second year, we partnered with Vancouver’s DOXA festival for a screening of Casablanca Calling, about women in Morocco starting to work as Muslim leaders.
- We took home 2nd place in the 2013 Canadian Weblog Awards in the category of Best Feminist Blog.
If you want to be a part of Gender Focus moving forward, check out our submission guidelines and write about what you care about. Or join in the conversation by commenting on our articles.