- Reported at the Ms. Magazine blog, a New Mexico Republican Representative has introduced a bill in the state legislature that would charge any woman who attempts to have an abortion to end a rape-induced pregnancy with “tampering with evidence”.
- Last week Bitch Flicks shared reviews and analysis of film and TV adaptations of classic literature, including posts on Anne of Green Gables, the 2011 adaptation of Jane Eyre, Julie Taymor’s gender-bent Titus and The Tempest, and two versions of Pride and Prejudice. Check out the full list of posts here.
- Via RH Reality Check, when they were subject to a wrongful death suit, a Catholic hospital in Colorado argued fetuses were not people with legal rights.
- Lisa Wade at Sociological Images shares an example of how our ideas of feminism are shaped by anti-feminist commentators in the mainstream media, as a Fox News host claims that feminism is to blame for a North Carolina teacher who was charged with sleeping with her student.
- On Saturday, Kathleen Wynne won the Ontario Liberal leadership race, becoming the first openly-gay Premier. This also makes her the 6th woman Premier currently in office in Canada. Check out the video of her acceptance speech at The Advocate.
- Jane Powell at The Guardian talks about how rising suicide rates among men should cause us to reexamine the impact of gender norms on men who experience depression.
- Finally, yesterday was the 25th anniversary of the Morgentaler Supreme Court decision, which decriminalized abortion in Canada. For a round-up of the news stories from yesterday check out the Abortion Rights Coalition of Canada’s Morgentaler 25 Years page.
Posted on January 29, 2013 by