The Round-Up: Dec. 6, 2011
- Today is the National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women, the anniversary of the Montreal Massacre. Monica at TransGriot takes a moment to reflect.
- Queerty has put together a list of the 8 best marriage equality videos from around the world, including the currently viral Australian video “It’s Time”.
- MSNBC reports that many LGBT advocacy groups are urging boycotts of the Salvation Army red kettle drive again this holiday season, arguing that LGBT people are often discriminated against by the Salvation Army’s charitable services.
- Feministe challenges Dr. Pepper on their new diet soda, Dr. Pepper Ten. Slogan: “It’s Not for Women”.
- Check out Ms. Magazine’s list of 8 obnoxious cliches about men, women, and sex in otherwise good TV shows like 30 Rock, The Killing, and Mad Men.
- Towleroad reports a Michigan school removed the word “gay” from Deck the Halls and became the subject of a Facebook protest.
- If you’re a fan of comic books and Kate Beaton’s Hark, a Vagrant, check out her series of comic strips about cranky Wonder Woman.
- Captain Awkward has a great article on how not to talk to people telling you sad news. Also relevant to conversations about people’s experience with oppressions.