Monday is International Women’s Day and here are some of the events happening in Vancouver (and a few from across BC). Unfortunately I missed posting about the Vancouver and District Labour Council dinner that happened last night at Fraserview Hall which I hear had amazing speakers, great food, and bhangra dancing lessons! I’m sure I’m missing some, so feel free to add them in the comments below!
- Women’s Voices at the Table conference: Hosted by a number of local women’s organizations in coalition with Oxfam Canada, Amnesty International, and other groups, the day starts with a rally Saturday, March 6 at noon at the Vancouver Art Gallery. The rally will be followed by a conference on a broad range of gender equality issues starting at 1:30 in the Alice McKay Room of the Vancouver Public Library.
- City of Vancouver IWD Proclamation Reading & Reception: Tuesday, March 2, 2010 at 3:45 pm City Hall, 453 West 12th Avenue, Third Floor Council Chamber
- BC Fed IWD Breakfast: Monday, March 8th, 7:50 AM at the Metrotown Hilton. Keynote speakers this year are Adrienne Montani, the Provincial Coordinator of First Call; and NDP Leader Carole James.
- “Shattering our (in)visibility” Exhibit: On Saturday, March 27 at the Vancouver Museum the Philipine Women’s Centre of BC will mount this exhibit to explore the perceived silence and social exclusion of Filipinos in Canada. Public dialogue at 4:30, exhibit opens at 6.
- Celebrating our Successes IWD Tea: Join Nelson-Creston MLA Michelle Mungall Saturday, March 6 at 2 PM at the Downtowner Motor Inn, 1218 Canyon St. Creston.
- IWD Toronto: Rally Saturday, March 6 at 11 AM at the OISE Auditorium followed by a march at 1 PM and a fair at Ryerson at 1:30.
- Kingston International Women’s Week: Events from March 6-14.
- University of Waterloo Women’s Centre IWD Events